- Producer Jose Perafan
- Attributes Wet processed, bed dried – Caturra, Colombia
- Origin Huila – Colombia
- Flavours toffee, orange peel, stewed apple, butter
Jose Gil is a member of our favourite group Los Guacharos, which consists of 25 or so producers based around the pueblo of Bruselas in Southern Huila, outside of Pitalito. We visited Jose in May this year and have hopes he can join our ranks of long term producer mates as he has great conditions for producing specialty coffee – two hectares of mostly caturra trees at 1700-1800 masl. As far back as 2017 his coffee has been a part of a “neighbours” blend we make from Los Guacharos producers, and we’re always stoked when a producer gets featured for the first time. Go Jose!
We paid Jose 1,3500,000 pesos per carga for this lot, in March 2019.
* Currency is Colombian Pesos.
* A carga is 125 kilos of parchment form coffee.
* Parchment form coffee is the final finished coffee produced at farm level, before it is de-hulled, and then size, density and colour sorted and packed (in an export facility) for shipping.
* As with all the producers we work with in Colombia, we purchased directly from Jose. When we say ‘direct’, we literally mean it: we paid him in Colombian pesos, from our bank account to that of Los Guacharos, the producer association of which Jose is a member. We then assumed risk and responsibility of the parchment from the farm-gate, contracting the milling service to a third party in Pitalito, Huila, and exporting via our own Colombian entity, Shared Source S.A.S.
Roasted for espresso brewing.